Well, more than a month has passed since my last update about this project, but that’s because I’ve had so much else going on in my life, most of it good.
March was a lighter month for me in terms of word count and the first half of April has been the same. It’s definitely a combination of the life stuff and the fact that I reached the big turning point for my main character. Now that that episode is finished, I’m in this reflection/passage of time arc that has a few important points, but I’m trying not to linger on it too long. I have to let myself tell a little bit to keep from getting stuck. Still, I’m close(ish) to the end.
Things have settled down, so now I’m just trying to focus on 500 words a day–just 500 words regardless of what my Scrivener word counter says or what I did or didn’t do the day before.
I won’t end up having written 15,500 words in April, but I will get just shy of 100k. I had hoped this thing would wrap at around 120k, but it might be closer to 150k. That’s still an acceptable range for a first draft.
Thing I like about what I’ve written since the last update:
- I think I presented one character’s betrayal with a good nuance and it came out on the page much better than I could’ve planned.
- My MC had a great bonding moment with her two besties.
- The stable OTP in my party is forever adorable.
- One of my characters is a “man of culture” and is a lowkey disaster bi. I don’t know when or if romance will come up for him again since he’s so hyperfocused on everything else.
- One of my chaotic/fun supporting characters is in love with her boy who has yet to be introduced, but if she were Andy from Parks & Rec, my MC would be her “if I had to pick a dude.”
Until next time!